Thursday, May 19, 2011

Save Ronald McDonald & Retrain Your Brain -- Day 4



I know this post will probably garner as much flack as my post in November 2008 titled: "Yeah, I do Eat White Bread!", but seriously people, all this business about Ronald McDonald making kids fat, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! (And by the way, I "deserve a break today".)

OK,I realize my testimony may actually hurt Ronald, given the fact that I am considered fat, unfit and unattractive by the world's standards, but somebody has to take a stand. Seriously, I know that I am not the model of how to feed your children, and I could stand to get a lot more fresh fruit and veggies in our diet, but it isn't Ronald's fault.

And yes, I realize he is a fictional character portrayed by many people all around the world. I don't see anybody going after Mickey Mouse. Seriously, that mouse has his own vices. Chief among them is encouraging people to spend way more money than they can afford to make their kids "happy". I am not down on Mickey, so don't get me wrong. We all have choices to make.

I used to take my kids to McDonald's at least twice a week particularly when we lived in an apartment for a short period of time while building our house. I used to say "If the amount of Happy Meals my kids ate was a measure of how happy they were, than my kids would be ECSTATIC". I loved the food and was well on my way to a fry addiction. But, then I realized that for me it was gluttony. I asked the LORD to take away my craving for McDonald's, and truthfully He did. To this day, I myself cringe when my kids ask to go there. It really just doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore.

Even my kids have stopped wanting to go, unless they want the toy that is being offered. They don't beg to see Ronald, in fact clowns in general are considered creepy in my house. When we go, my kids get milk to drink, apples and chicken nuggets. My oldest son even picks the breading off them. They may sneak a few fries from our order, but they eat in moderation and they stop when they are full.

My paternal grandparents lived until they were 95 & 96 years old. They ate food fried in lard, white bread, drank 16 ounce bottles of soda, dessert at pretty much every meal and had a candy dish full of M&Ms and Snickers on the table. I believe that it isn't so much what you eat as much as it is how much you eat and the amount of exercise you get. My grandparents worked hard on the farm. I know my kids and especially I need more exercise.

More exercise is what I am trying to get in my Retrain Your Brain Challenge. I have been dutiful in exercising and am feeling better for it. This summer we are going to get more exercise as we have our Boot Camp Bible Study too. I want healthy habits for my kids, as well as a dose of fun, whimsy and nostalgia.

As for Day 4 of my challenge, I want to report that I am grateful for Ronald McDonald House Charities where we spent many a night during both of Ephraim's surgeries. I am grateful for childhood memories of the occasional trip to McDonald's and high school fun sitting on Ronald's lap with Sherry Gray. I am grateful for my trip to India and sitting next to Ronald with my friend Rachel, as we had a glimpse of home by his side.

My prayer and meditation time made me more aware of the way that God is with me in my troubles and that He doesn't promise to keep me from it, but walk with me. Exercise came in the form of more floor work with my big pink ball (Can you tell "I'm lovin' it"?). My positive experience was spending an hour and a half in line with the boy's waiting for Garcia's to open and eating dinner with our dear friends. My note of thanks was to my friend who takes the time to be authentic and genuine in her fellowship with me and my family.

All and all, another great day! Oh and I only have one more thing to say: "Save RONALD!".

No comments: