Sunday, May 15, 2011

Positive Challenge

I am back. And I return challenged to be positive. A college friend recently posted on facebook that she was both accepting and issuing a challenge to Retrain Your Brain! The retraining challenge came from a motivational speaker by the name of Sean Achor. The basic premise of the challenge is to practice five disciplines determined to retrain your brain to look for the positive in your circumstances. As far as I can surmise the speaker: Sean Achor works from a secular perspective, but I believe it is a challenge that comes with great possibility to adapt it to a Biblical perspective.

Below are the five disciplines that were derived from Sean Achor with a corresponding Bible verse that I have added. I plan to implement these disciplines in full swing starting tomorrow (given my procrastination issues), though I have found that without trying, I have implemented three out of the five. So that is progress.

Every day for 21 days:

1. 3 new things I am grateful for every day.

Colossians 3:16-17
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

2. Journal about one positive experience in the previous 24 hours allows brain to relive it. (I plan to do this on my blog)

Philippians 4:8
8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.


3. Exercise every day -- teaches brain that behavior matters. (I've been working on this one since February, but only two days a week. Time to up the ante.)

1 Timothy 4:8
8 For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.


4. Meditation -- trains brain to focus on task at hand. (For me this includes
prayer as well as times to be still.)

Psalms 19:14
14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight,O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

5. Random acts of kindness -- every day, send one positive/praising email to one person every day in social support network. (I will also send cards as well as look for small acts for those out side my network.)

Ephesians 4:32
32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.


Mr. Achor claims that his research supports that this challenge rewires the brain to automatically look for the positive. My thought is that God brought this challenge to me so that I might look to Him for the changing of my attitude that He might rewire not only my brain but my heart. I am tired of looking through my tainted lens, I want to see His clear view of myself of others. He looks with kindness. He views with compassion the people I often treat with contempt. I want to see to it that sarcasm is no longer the second language in our household. Few things are as heartbreaking as hearing your six and nine year old mimic your sarcastic poisonous attitude. I want the positive light that Christ seeks to offer my family.

This summer our family will again embark on another hands on Bible Study. Our plans this year include 1 & 2 Timothy. Drawing our theme from 2 Timothy 2:3-5 -- "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer. Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor’s crown unless he competes according to the rules."

The plans are still developing, but we want to develop our character as good soldiers in Christ. A better attitude, rooted in His power will make a huge difference. Being trained to look for the positive, to see as God does, will go hand in hand with our study. Look for more posts to come as I begin this challenge. Join us if you'd like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it! I am choosing the meditate on prayers each day for the meditation as well. I plan to post the prayer I use in the documents section of the challenge if you would like to check it out.