Monday, May 16, 2011

Retrain My Brain -- Day 1

Today was day one of the challenge I was issued to retrain my brain for positive thinking. I believe the day went rather well. I know it wasn't perfect, but I stayed positive for the most part. It was refreshing to realize that when I made a conscious effort to look for the positive that I actually found it hard to stop.

There were many things for which I was grateful, many positive experiences in the day, lots of fun working out with my hula hoop, a blessed time being reminded of the closeness I can have with God when I pray and meditate and a difficult time stopping at only one note to a friend.

I am excited for more opportunities to look for and be a part of the positive tomorrow. God is doing a new thing in my mind and heart.

See my progress below.

Step 1. 3 new things I am grateful for every day

*1. God the Father, my Creator and Sustainer.
*2. God the Son, Jesus my Savior.
*3. God the Holy Spirit my Comforter, Counselor and Corrector.

Step 2. Journaling about 1 positive experience in the previous 24 hours -- allows brain to relive it.

I really enjoyed sharing family stories at the lunch table with fellow substitute teachers. Stories of family home cooking and learning from our grandparents. Fond memories of my Mam Mam making yeast rolls, frying chicken and angel food cake.

Step 3. Exercise every day -- teaches brain that behavior matter.

Over 25 minutes of hula hooping and jumping hoop. I love my glittery hula hoop and the success I feel at keeping it up and going for longer periods each time I use it.

Step 4. Meditation -- trains brain to focus on task at hand.

Meditated on Psalm 19:14 and the song Sanctuary. At home for a short time and on the way to school by myself. It was a great reminder to reflect repeatedly on the scripture and sing over and over again the words: LORD, prepare me, to be a sanctuary. Pure and holy. Tried and true. And with thanksgiving, I'll be a living sanctuary for You.

Step 5. Random acts of kindness -- every day, send one positive/praising email to one person every day in social support network.

Wrote a note to a friend whom I usually only speak to over the phone. A friend who challenges me to answer the tough questions.

No comments: